Wednesday 30 January 2013

Boy, 9, threatened with axe during Great Barr robbery



Rajinder Auluk describes the moment that robbers smashed their way into his house
A nine-year-old boy was threatened with an axe in front of his family when robbers burst into their home demanding cash and car keys.
Rajinder Auluk, 40, said his son no longer wanted to live in the house after the attack in Great Barr, Birmingham, on Monday evening.
West Midlands Police have launched an appeal to help catch the robbers who were also carrying crowbars.
Mr Auluk said his son fears they will return to kill him and his family.

Start Quote

It's totally destroyed and pulled around my family without anything being our fault. I'm just shocked”
Rajinder Auluk
Police said the robbers threatened the boy, whose name has not been released, in front of Mr Auluk, his wife Baljit, 45, and their older son, 16-year-old Jay, at their Newton Road home.
The men tried to get away in both family cars, a Nissan Pulsar GTR and a Mercedes CLK, but abandoned the Mercedes on the road outside the home, police said.
Mr Auluk said he was about to watch television after dinner with his youngest son when he heard a noise.
He said: "I heard a crash and thought my son had hurt himself.
"I came into the hallway and saw a couple of silhouettes and as I approached the front door the glass exploded in my face and I realised we were under attack."
He said the intruders were carrying axes and crowbars.
"They were asking for keys and I told my eldest son to get the keys and throw them down."
'Totally destroyed'
Mr Auluk said then one of men went into the front room where his son was hiding and threatened him.
He said: "He grabbed him by the shoulder and put the axe to his throat and started saying 'you're loaded, give us the cash'.

BBC Local Live

BBC Local Live
"All that's going through my mind is I've got to get my son out of there - so I decided to take a leap between my son and the guy holding him.
"I managed to get my son free but took a little hit on my chest."
Mr Auluk's eldest son had grabbed a knife from the kitchen and was charged at by two men before they fled from the house.
He said: "They started the car and then they came back in for another apparently it was in the way so they took that."
"It's totally destroyed and pulled around my family without anything being our fault. I'm just shocked," he added.
Police have been unable to trace the offenders and detectives have been carrying out house-to-house inquiries and trawling CCTV footage.
West Midlands Police said it believed the stolen Nissan Pulsar GTR was driven out towards Sutton Coldfield and Aldridge where it was joined by a black Audi A6.
Ch Supt Mark Robinson said: "This was a particularly heinous crime and extremely rare, especially for the Great Barr area.
"The psychological impact on Rajinder and his family is not lost on myself and the officers investigating this crime."

No comments:

Why cows may be hiding something but AI can spot it

  By Chris Baraniuk Technology of Business reporter Published 22 hours ago Share IMAGE SOURCE, GETTY IMAGES Image caption, Herd animals like...