Friday 5 June 2015

Dead lizard found in can of tomatoes in Alum Rock


Dead lizard in can of tomatoes
Mrs Hussain said the sight had made her feel ill
A couple making lunch were shocked to find an unwanted addition inside a can of tomatoes - a dead lizard.
Muhammad Hussain and his wife Sanam made the grisly discovery as Mrs Hussain was cooking a curry on Thursday at their home in Alum Rock, Birmingham.
Mrs Hussain, who is seven months pregnant, said the sight of the creature had made her feel ill.
Euro Foods, which distributes the product, said it was investigating how the lizard could have got into the tin.
Mr Hussain said he was alerted by his wife's screams.
Dead lizard in can of tomatoes
The couple said the discovery had put them off their food
He said: "My wife was making lunch for me and our 15-month-old son. When she opened the can, she saw something and screamed at me to come through. I saw it was a dead baby lizard.
"We are worried about food poisoning. The can was part of a pack of 12. We had already eaten seven of them. Now my wife is off her food.
"I think we have been put off tinned tomatoes for life."
Mrs Hussain said: "It was disgusting. I am in shock. I am so worried about my baby because I am pregnant.
"I talked to my midwife about it and she said if I feel ill, I should contact the hospital."
Mr Hussain said he had bought the cans at Masala Bazaar, an Asian supermarket in Birmingham which is owned by Euro Foods.
Euro Foods said it had contacted its Italian supplier to find out how the lizard got into the tin.
Dead lizard in can of tomatoes
The food supplier is investigating how the lizard got into the tin
The company said: "This is a major concern. We are in touch with the family and are going to collect the offending can and have it analysed to see at what stage of the process the lizard got introduced.
"Once we have investigated, we will put in controls to stop this happening again."

No comments:

Why cows may be hiding something but AI can spot it

  By Chris Baraniuk Technology of Business reporter Published 22 hours ago Share IMAGE SOURCE, GETTY IMAGES Image caption, Herd animals like...